Workstream is seeking a talented Engineering Manager to join our Payroll Team. As a member of this team, you will play a crucial role in building our full-service payroll product, which encompasses core payroll processing functionality for paying hourly workers, state and federal tax filings, and seamless integration with third-party systems for time and attendance, accounting, and pre-tax benefits such as retirement, PTO and medical deductions. Our product includes an admin portal and an employee-facing app, providing a comprehensive solution for efficient and accurate payroll management.
In this role, you will have end-to-end ownership of feature/module development, leading a group of 5-10 software engineers to designing and implementing the backend and frontend components. You will collaborate closely with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering, including Frontend and UX teams, to maintain a high standard of quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment. At times, you will also don the hat of a product manager, contributing your insights and expertise to shape the product roadmap.
Day in the Life:
- Lead a team of passionate software engineers that prides itself on ownership and impact
- Drive on-time, high quality product delivery. Drive adoption of engineering best practices
- Work with Product Managers to have a holistic view across engineering and product, and drive engineering and product strategy (wear a product manager hat when needed)
- Help the organization scale and grow with the business - attract and groom the best talent!
- Drive better efficiency and process improvement for various aspects of the team’s / product’s operations
- Be hands-on in technical architecture/reviews, and if/as needed, make contributions to code
- Own the ultimate outcome and success of Payroll at Workstream
- Work closely with product and engineering to jointly scope R&D roadmap for mid-market and enterprise implementations, ensuring the requisite balance between organic vs. third-party engineering and business priorities and tradeoffs
Who You Are:
- Outstanding customer-centric mindset, growth mindset, and a hunger for impact
- Strong coding, design, and architectural skills - be a technical leader for the team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- 4+ years of experience as an Engineering manager
- 10+ years of professional work experience in software development
- Team first mindset; we are a humble and hungry group sharing one mission
- Can project manage and work efficiently across departments and LOBs
- Willing to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty; no job is too big or too small
- Excels under high pressure in fast-paced environments with competing priorities
What We Offer:
- A mission-driven and value-based company dedicated to empower deskless workers and local businesses
- An early employee opportunity at a Series B hyper-growth startup; work with the founding team and industry veterans to accelerate your career
- Competitive salary and equity
- Dedicated office space - Amenities and Perks
- Learning/development stipend
- Unlimited PTO
- Hybrid Office/WFH schedule
Workstream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals.